Saturday, March 5, 2011

Vegetarian Tortilla Soup

I became a vegetarian toward the end of my college career.  Ironically enough one of the reasons I became vegetarian was because I was addicted to a soup.  When I was in college I worked at a small coffee shop long before there was a Starbucks on every corner. I was a barrista before the word existed.  I loved working in this coffee shop. The owners were like family, the place had history, and people loved going there.
We were a typical coffee shop: coffee, tea, in house baked goods in the morning, soups, salads, and sandwiches in the afternoon. Every day we had two soups on the menu, Vegetarian Vegetable and a daily special. The daily special changed every day, just as the name implied,  and I never knew what wonderful soup would be on the menu  until I came to work that morning.  My kryptonite….Turkey Noodle Soup.
I had to pause for a second there. I’m sure it s like an addict remembering their last fix. This soup was intoxicating. This was no ordinary Turkey Noodle Soup. This was NOT some weak, little chicken noodle soup made with turkey. This was its own being.
Turkey Noodle Soup was a cream based soup, not broth. This was not a cream base that you could stand your spoon in, but a perfectly smooth, coat your spoon kind of base.  The pasta of choice was elbow macaroni.  As the soup simmered throughout the morning, the pasta would plump up, absorbing the creamy deliciousness.  Of course there was cubed turkey, carrots, celery, and fresh parsley, but this soup really had me with the noodles and cream.
I couldn’t resist it. It would call to me all day. Every time I walked by the steam table, I had to have a taste. And then another.  Then a little cup.  Then another spoonful. I could not stop myself when it came to this soup. I gained 10 pounds working in this coffee shop strictly because of this soup.
 I had to do something. What could I do to keep from eating this gift from God?  I knew the only remedy was to stop eating meat. That would be the only way I would not eat this beautiful soup. No meat = No Turkey Noodle Soup. I know it sounds drastic, but when you are faced with an addiction it is never easy. You have to take the first step. The detox was rough, but I white knuckled it. No support group necessary.  I have lived to tell the tale. 
Eventually the owners sold the shop and the new owners turned it into a sushi place, so that was the definitive end of Turkey Noodle Soup for me. I have never seen it since, but its memory lives on.
You are probably wondering what Turkey Noodle Soup has to do with Vegetarian Tortilla Soup.  Since I became a vegetarian roughly 18 years ago a new soup has come to fruition: Chicken Tortilla Soup. Of course I’ve never had Chicken Tortilla Soup, but it has always intrigued me. No, it’s not cream based, and there is no noodle in sight, but the thought of vegetables and beans, simmering in a flavorful broth topped with fried tortilla strips – who doesn’t want some of that?
The Oregonian recently published a Vegetarian Tortilla Soup recipe that I could not wait to try. We had this on Tuesday night.  It is amazing the depth of flavor it achieves in such a short period of time.  I actually let mine simmer for 45 minutes, because I had the time.  I may have a new favorite.  Bring on the chips and salsa!!!

Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
Published January 19, 2010
Makes 4 servings
Ingredients
·       4 6-inch corn tortillas (see note)
·       3 tablespoons vegetable oil
·       3/4 cup chopped onion
·       2 cloves garlic, minced
·       1 tablespoon tomato paste
·       1 teaspoon ground cumin
·       3/4 teaspoon chili powder
·       4 cups canned vegetable broth
·       4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (divided)
·       1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
·       1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
·       2/3 cup frozen corn kernels
·       1 1/2 tablespoons minced, seeded jalapeño chile
·       Salt and freshly ground black pepper
·       Garnishes: diced avocado, sour cream, shredded jack cheese or queso fresco, lime wedges, minced green onion
Instructions
If the tortillas are fresh, dry them in a 200-degree oven for about 10 minutes. Cut tortillas in half, then cut the halves crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide strips.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan set over medium-high heat until hot. In batches, fry the tortilla strips until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
If necessary, discard all but a couple teaspoons of the oil. Add the onion and sauté until almost tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute more. Stir in tomato paste, cumin and chili powder. Add broth and 2 tablespoons cilantro and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
Add tomatoes, beans, corn and jalapeño to the soup. Cover and simmer until ingredients are heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide half of the tortilla strips among the bowls. Ladle soup on top and sprinkle with the remaining cilantro and tortilla strips. Serve, letting guests embellish their own soups with the garnishes.
Note: If you like, you can skip the tortilla-frying step and just use a few cups of broken tortilla chips instead.
PER SERVING (without garnishes): calories: 330 (31% from fat); protein: 4.4 grams; total fat: 11.5 grams; saturated fat: 1 gram; cholesterol: 0; sodium: 984 mg; carbohydrate: 53.2 grams; dietary fiber: 13.8 grams
Adapted from Bon Appétit

No comments:

Post a Comment