Monday, February 28, 2011

And the Oscar goes to...

Last night we watched the Oscars and enjoyed homemade pizza, garden salad with shrimp, and mounds of freshly washed laundry.  It was a good time.
I have to admit there is something comforting about being in your coziest sweats, fire in the fireplace, the house smelling like pizza, and watching those poor famous people all gussied up in their stiff jackets and gowns with painfully high heels having to sit in a theater for three plus hours watching what I felt was a pretty mediocre broadcast. I love being able to walk in and out of the room, grab a slice, get online for a bit, and put away some laundry, all in my slippers no less.  I’m so thankful I’m not rich or famous.
I didn’t snap any photos last night – I was really trying to avoid the paparazzi – but I did want to share this pizza dough recipe. I have experimented with many recipes, and this one has to be my favorite so far.  This would definitely get the Oscar for “Best Performance by a Quick Rising Yeast.” Delish!
Oscar Winning Pizza Dough
Parade Magazine April 25, 2010
Yields enough dough for two 14-inch pizza

3 ½ to 4 cups bread flour, plus more if needed ***
1 teaspoon sugar
1 envelope instant dry yeast
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 ½ cups warm water (110 degrees)
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
  1. Combine 3 ½ cups flour, sugar, yeast, and salt in a food processor and pulse to combine.
  2. While processing, add the water and 2 tablespoons of oil until the dough forms a ball.  If the dough is sticky, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time and continue processing until it comes together into a solid ball.
  3. Scrape dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead until smooth. Form into a smooth ball.
  4. Grease a large bowl with the remaining olive oil, add dough, cover with plastic wrap, place in a warm area, and let rise until double in size – about 1 hour.
  5. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide into two equal pieces. Cover each with a clean kitchen towel and let rest for 10 minutes.

***Note: bread flour will give you a crispier crust. If you use all-purpose flour (which I did) it will give you a chewier crust.

No comments:

Post a Comment