Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Smoked Salmon Hash

I feel a responsibility to give a little history to this recipe. It comes from a book that I have had for a very long time, called "The Best American Recipes - 1999." I'm assuming I bought it in 1999 because I bought many cookbooks in the mid to late 90's, but I have recently (say in the last year or so) seen this recipe published in The Oregonian, as well.

Smoked Salmon Hash comes from the brunch menu at the famous Heathman Hotel, in Portland. Between the smoked salmon, capers, sour cream, and crispy potatoes, I knew I had to try it.  The huz? Well, I had him at smoked salmon. To this day it is still one of his fav's and is in my arsenal of "go to" meals. 

I believe The Heathman serves this with poached eggs for brunch - which really you could easily do for dinner. The huz hates eggs, though, so we usually have ours with either a fresh green salad, or steamed vegetables of some sort. 


Don't underestimate the power of a side dish
Just this year, and we are only two months in, I saw Smoked Salmon Hash as a breakfast special at a local restaurant called Word of Mouth. Now this restaurant is a treasure, here in Salem. It is one of those super small, always a line waiting to get in, kind of breakfast places, where they notoriously have the best food. I mean how can you go wrong with a place that has Creme Brulee French Toast on their menu?  Anyways, when I saw this as a breakfast special, at Word of Mouth,  I about fell off my chair. I mean, I've had this recipe for 11 years! 

So there you have it. Not only is this recipe good enough to be served at The Heathman Hotel, it has found it's way onto the menu of one of the best restaurants in Salem, as well as my kitchen table. Now it's your turn. 

(and did I tell you it's easy too???)

Smoked Salmon Hash
Serves 4 (generously)

2 pounds potatoes (I actually use small reds for mine so I don't have to peel them)
1 pound smoked salmon
1 small red onion, minced
1 tablespoon horseradish
1 tablespoon coarse grained mustard
1/4 cup capers, drained
1/4 cup sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons butter*
2 tablespoons vegetable oil*

  1. Place the potatoes in a large pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, adding a large pinch of salt, and cook until tender, 20 minutes or so.  Cool completely, then peel and dice.
  2. Shred the salmon into a medium bowl.  Add the onion, horseradish, mustard, capers, and sour cream. Toss to combine and season with salt and pepper.  Set aside.
  3. Melt the butter in a large heavy saute pan (I like to use my large wok), and add the oil. Add the cubed potatoes and saute until golden brown and crisp.  Add the salmon mixture and toss to combine and heat through.  Add more salt and pepper if desired.
  4. Serve with poached eggs, if you like, and top with sour cream.

* I have made this using 1 tablespoon butter, and 1 tablespoon oil, BUT you do not get the browning that you get when you go full fat. Sometimes you just gotta go full fat.


No comments:

Post a Comment