Monday, March 21, 2011

Potatoes Au Gratin

Do you ever have one of those Sundays where you feel utterly unrushed and leisurely? If not, I pity you.  Yesterday was one of those days for me. The only thing I HAD to do was go to the grocery store. Other than that the day was mine.

The huz and I had a relaxing morning, reading the paper, drinking our coffee. I was able to work on our grocery list, and we got to the store and back within 45 minutes. Awesome. I swear this blog has simplified my grocery list beyond words - saving me time and money.

As the day progressed and the rain really kicked in we decided to rent a DVD, and curl up on the sofa for a couple hours (if you were curious we rented "Wallstreet" - very good movie, although I have to admit I was a little lost the first half. I don't see "stock broker," "venture capitalist," or "federal reserve banker" ever being added to my resume.  It's a whole other world).

With the weather and the pace of the day my oven was just screaming at me, "Shawn....use me....bake something." At the same time I had a huge bag of potatoes in my pantry calling out to me, "slice me....cover me in cheese...bake me!"  How could I ignore this chorus in my kitchen?

I couldn't. Potatoes Au Gratin it is.

Now, we are not big potato eaters in our house. It's probably the huz's least favorite starch. I, however, love them. With this recipe, I think I converted him. I have a feeling this may show up on my menu next week as well.


Who doesn't love potatoes and cheese????
Potatoes Au Gratin

Yields 3 - 4 servings

1/2 cup chopped onion
4 medium baking potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
salt and pepper
2/3 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan
1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup skim milk
2 tablespoons flour

1. Saute onion in a nonstick skillet, coated with cooking spray, over medium heat until softened.
2. Spray a 8 x 8 casserole dish with cooking spray. Arrange one third of the potato slices, in dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with half of the sauteed onions, and half the cheddar and Parmesan cheeses.
3.  Repeat layers, ending with remaining potato slices.
4.  Bring broth and milk to a boil over low heat. Whisk in flour, and cook for two minutes. Pour over potato mixture.
5.  Bake in a 425 degree oven for 50 minutes, or until tender.  Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
No complaints from the huz

No comments:

Post a Comment