Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Orzo Salad

Saturday I was at our local grocery store, picking up some pastrami for the huz, and drooling over the deli case full of delectable salads and gourmet cheeses.  One salad in particular caught my eye - Orzo with Artichoke hearts and Olives. Now olives and artichoke hearts are two ingredients the huz would totally pass on, but not me. I love anything pickled – beets, artichoke hearts, olives, and of course pickles, sweet and dill. Seeing this pasta salad got my wheels turning, and the saliva glands flowing.  I had to make an orzo salad this week!
One of my favorite combinations is basil, tomatoes, and mozzarella. These ingredients make up the classic Caprese salad, or what you would find on a truly Italian Margherita pizza. I decided to do a play on this concept.  One problem: the huz hates fresh tomatoes. I know. You’re scratching your head right now thinking, “what the h-e-double hockey sticks is she doing with this guy?”  Oh, despite his aversion to most of the foods I love he’s pretty awesome. He’s just a little quirky about certain foods and I have become very adept at working around his likes and dislikes. Personally, I’d probably eat a shoe if it was fried (or pickled J).
Case in point – sundried tomatoes. The huz loves them. Sundried tomatoes pack a powerful punch in a very small bite. They are super flavorful and add a lot of depth and dimension to any recipe. 
This was the gist of my Orzo Salad creation:
Ingredients:
½ pound orzo pasta, cooked according to package directions, drained, and rinsed under cool water
½ package fresh spinach, cut into julienned strips (if it was summer I would totally use fresh basil)
¼ cup sundried tomatoes, diced
¼ cup Havarti cheese, diced (I had Havarti, otherwise I probably would have used fresh mozzarella)
¼ cup balsamic vinaigrette (I make my own with vinegar, olive oil, dried basil, salt/pepper)
Directions: 
Toss everything together in a bowl. Eat.

I think this is the beginning of a beautiful love affair


That’s it.
Seriously. 
I can’t even begin to tell you how great this salad was. Between the creamy Havarti, salty/sweet tomatoes, and fresh spinach, I was in heaven. 
See what happens when you “play” in the kitchen? You never know when inspiration will strike, and sometimes it’s a home run!!!
I’m two for two this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment