Sunday, March 20, 2011

Week 12 Dinner Menu

In an effort to recommit myself to my blog (if you can't tell I really slacked last week), I have given her a new name - http://www.dinneroneweekatatime.blogspot.com/.

When I started this blog I figured I would give it a year. My goal is that by the end of this year I will have a more organized repertoire of recipes, as well as a years worth that I can refer to over and over again. This blog has really reaffirmed my love of food and cooking.  The meal planning has not only helped my time management, but I believe it is saving me money as well. Those two factors alone are worth the price of admission.

Last week there was an interesting article in The Oregonian about using what you have kind of cooking. Not relying on recipes so much, but really assessing what you have in your pantry/fridge/freezer and thinking outside of the box. I have to admit I love recipes.  That being said I do find myself modifying them quite a bit to accommodate my vegetarianism. I believe I use recipes more as a personal guidebook, not as a chartered bus tour where you are lead around like a lemming.  I think in the coming weeks my challenge will be to not be so dependent on formal recipes and to trust my instincts when it comes to food. Tonight was a perfect example of this, but I will write more about that tomorrow, I promise (how's that for a tease?).

With this approach in mind, here is my Week 12 Dinner Menu:

Sunday: Grilled Burgers, Salmon Cakes, Broccoli Slaw, and Potatoes Au Gratin.  In honor of the first day of Spring we really wanted to start up the grill. Of course, we had lots of Oregon sunshine (rain) today, but that doesn't keep us from grilling in the Pacific Northwest. As you can see as the week progresses grilling is my theme. I think after working in the yard this weekend I am itchin' for summer!

Monday: Grilled Sausages with Peppers and Onions and Orzo Salad

Tuesday: Chili Pasta Bake with Steamed, or perhaps Grilled Vegetables

Wednesday: Grilled Salmon Salad

Thursday: Enchilada "Sandwiches" with Steamed Vegetables.  This is probably the one true "recipe" I am following this week.

Friday: Yakisoba Noodles with Vegetables and Beef/Tofu

Here's to the first week of Spring and new beginnings!

No comments:

Post a Comment