Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Kale and White Bean Soup

As a person who eats a primarily vegetarian diet, there is no shortage of fiber in my life.  I eat a lot of dark leafy greens, beans, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. It's just a given when you cut red meat, pork, and chicken out of your life. I always kind of laugh when I see fiber commercials because it really baffles me how fiber can be lacking in one's diet, because fiber is almost it's own food group in my world.

Case in point: I think towards the end of last week I was on fiber overload. Without being too specific lets just say I probably could have had a colonoscopy, no problem.
Call Dr. McDreamy.  I needed carbs, stat!  Carbs would be the only cure.

Because we were going to be out and about quite a bit on Saturday, I knew the huz and I would be dining out much of the day. Mind you I had oatmeal for breakfast (old habits die hard), but made up for it at lunch when I had scrambled eggs, crispy cottage potatoes, and a big, fat buttery biscuit. Yes, that was my lunch. No, it was not a second breakfast.  I was in carb heaven.

Saturday night, we hit Taco del Mar, on our drive home, and picked up a couple burritos and chips with queso. To quote my eleven year old niece, "OMG." What a good burrito (and yes, Nicole, I did nuke it when I got home so it would be piping hot). Of course, my burrito was beans and veggies on a wheat tortilla, but it was fast food, so it had to be carb heavy somehow. You know they hide the carbs in there somewhere. Oh I know, the plate of tortilla chips and queso was the carb balance I was looking for.

Needless to say by Sunday, I was ready for my usual fare. Those carbs work fast!  I knew just the perfect meal - Kale and White Bean Soup. The name says it all. Creamy cannelini beans, chewy pasta, hearty kale - I love being a vegetarian. I love soup. You should too.



Oh, and I almost forgot, I had a bit of pizza dough left over from Thurdsay night, and got a wild hair (or is it hare) to make dinner rolls. Basically I just rolled the dough into balls, put them in a muffin pan, drizzled a little olive oil on them and baked them for 15 - 20 minutes or so, at 425 degrees. While they were still in the pan, I put a little butter, salt, and fresh parsley on top.  That's how we roll in our house.  Peace out.

Keep rolling, rolling, rolling....


Kale and White Bean Soup

Serves 8| Hands-On Time: 25m | Total Time: 30m

Directions

  1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
  2. Add the garlic, celery, onion, 1 ½ teaspoons salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 4 to 6 minutes.
  3. Add the beans, pasta, kale, rosemary, 8 cups water, and Parmesan rind (if using). Cover and bring to a boil.
  4. Reduce heat and simmer until the pasta and kale are tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
  5. Remove the Parmesan rind. Stir in the lemon juice and sprinkle with the shaved Parmesan before serving. Serve with the bread.
Courtesy of Real Simple Magazine - Sara Quessenberry,  January 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment