Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Creamy Broccoli Soup

Spring is in the air.  With daffodils blooming, and a 59 degree day, today, I feel that we are on the verge of spring (or perhaps that is my wishful heart hoping that winter is about to be officially put to rest).  Unfortunately one of the innocent victims of the end of winter is soup. October through March are really the prime soup months. Gray skies, rain showers, and shorter days go hand in hand with a steaming bowl of soup.

Nobody in the dead of winter ever says they want to curl up with a cozy blanket, by the fire, and eat a green salad. It's the slow cooked meals -  the house filled with the aroma of some beautiful creation simmering away all day, ready to warm you from the inside out. That is what makes soup the best thing ever. Add a grilled cheese sandwich...and forget about it.

With daylight savings arriving, or returning (not really sure which) on Sunday, I see soup recipes thinning out soon. Luckily, I found a great new recipe that I can't wait to share with you. It comes from Real Simple magazine (February 2011).  If you actually make this soup, you will be AMAZED at how easy, tasty, and truly satisfying it is.

One tip: I used my immersion blender for this. If you do not have an immersion blender, you can use a traditional blender, but I tell you what, immersion blenders are awesome.  Once you go immersion you never go back. 


This is one smooth operator - pun intended :-)

Second tip: I did not have Bagel chips to put on my soup. I figured the Bagel chip was essentially acting as a crouton (texture, salt) for the creamy soup.  Instead, we had Parmesan/garlic pretzel nugget things in our pantry, that I put in a plastic storage bag, and pulverized with my rolling pin. I think they worked really well, so don't be afraid to be resourceful and use what you already have.

Here's the star of our show...

Creamy Broccoli Soup

Serves 4| Hands-On Time: 20m | Total Time: 40m

Ingredients

Directions

  1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and red pepper (if using) and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, 4 to 6 minutes.
  2. Add the broth, broccoli, potato, 2 cups water, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are very tender, 18 to 20 minutes.
  3. In a blender, working in batches, puree the soup until smooth, adjusting the consistency with water as necessary. (Alternatively, use a handheld immersion blender in the saucepan.) Top with the Cheddar and bagel chips, if desired, before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment