Saturday, March 12, 2011

Recipe Updates

Cooking-wise I felt this week was really uneventful. Don't get me wrong - we ate well. I just feel everything I made was fairly simple and straightforward - basically not much to write about.

I ended up flipping a couple recipes because I thought we had plans on Saturday night, but those plans changed, and really no flipping was necessary. That's okay though. No harm, no foul.

Wednesday night I made Grilled Salmon Salad, which was just as I dreamed it to be. There is something about warm salmon, on a chilled salad, with a simple balsamic vinaigrette that makes me happy. It also makes me think of summer, which with day light savings fast approaching, was only appropriate.



Thursday night I cooked pizza. I used my pizza dough recipe but used bread flour (as the recipe indicates) instead of all-purpose flour. I think this has changed my life!  Bread flour makes a thinner crust - which I really like. It is not near as chewy as what AP flour yields. I am converted.

Friday night I threw together a vegetarian chili (kidney beans, diced tomatoes, chili powder, onions, garlic, oregano, red pepper flake, salt and pepper - I really think that's it).  This is the first time I have ever cooked beans from scratch.  I have to admit you can definitely taste a difference between dried and canned beans. Given how easy they were to prepare, and how much cheaper they are than canned,  I am hoping to tackle some type of white bean this week (beans are a staple in my diet).  I think my freezer could very well become my new pantry. Yikes - and I was just trying to get that freezer under control.

So here is to the week ahead. I see white beans, St. Patrick's Day, and more kale in my future!  I know you can hardly wait.

1 comment: