Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Blog Update

My goal was to actually write yesterday, but it seems since I started this blog we have had some spam issues with our e-mail account (which can only be attributed to my starting this blog). Right now everything seems to be okay, so we will keep our fingers crossed. If we continue to have issues I may have to pull the plug on this little adventure (it's exactly why I had to get off of Facebook).

Since my last blog I have cooked three dinners, and even though the huz says "self praise is no recommendation," I have to really recommend all of them. We have been eating really well this week.   Here are a few notes about each recipe though:

Pad Thai - I think it's actually the best pad thai I have ever made, and I have tried everything from packaged sauces, to recipes from scratch (like this one). The only word of warning I would give is be careful with the chili sauce. I tend to like things between mild/medium, and this definitely has a little heat. I would almost cut the chili sauce in half, and add more afterwards if you feel the heat is lacking (you can always add it, but you can't take it away once it's in there).  I think the next time I make it I will actually do 1 teaspoon ketchup (yes, ketchup - it will add a little color and depth of flavor) and 2 teaspoons chili sauce.

Rock Fish with Cucumber Salsa - Again, winner, winner, chicken dinner. This was beyond my expectations. The rock fish as a substitute for sea bass was great. Rock fish is essentially snapper, if you didn't know. It's a really tasty fish. What I found so interesting about this recipe is that you dredge the fish in some flour before you brown it. The magic happens when you add the sauce, and let it cook for 4 -5 minutes, covered. I think the flour from the fish acts as a thickening agent for the sauce, and it created this BEAUTIFUL glaze. I was genuinely surprised when I uncovered the fish.  I will definitely be making this again. Probably sooner rather than later.

Tonight we had smoked salmon enchiladas (a request by the huz). It's a recipe that I make up as I go, but he really likes it. He actually gave it a 9 out of 10 (he only gave the other two recipes an 8 out of 10, which really surprised me). But honestly, his high marks may have been the beer we were drinking too. Everything tastes a little better with a little pre-dinner cocktail. I'm just sayin'.

So, so far, so good this week. Tomorrow we are dining out, then back to cooking on Friday. I hope everyone is having a really good week, and that my e-mail does not send any random spam your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment