Sunday, April 17, 2011

Football Salad

Ah, Football Salad. So many memories, so little time.

First things first.

The huz graduated from the University of Oregon. He is a duck, through and through. I graduated from Oregon State, but I'm allowed to talk about that. I did go to the U of O my freshman year, though, and the huz prefers that I leave it at that.

Go Ducks!!!
The first few years of our marriage we were season ticket holders to U of O football games. Every Saturday we would travel down to Eugene with my brother and sister-in-law, and spend the day enjoying great food, football talk, and of course, the big game.

When you tailgate you need to find food that can (1) hold up to travel, (2) taste great at room temperature, and (3) satisfy a vegetarian and a group of carnivores. This salad fit the bill. The original recipe is Rice Salad with Smoked Gouda and Garlic Dill Vinaigrette. To us it became known as Football Salad. It's amazingly easy, flavorful, VEGETARIAN, and has the perfect blend of carbs, protein, and fat. It is a meal in and of itself, but carnivores love it right along side of their grilled sausages, hamburgers, or chicken.

I have made this recipe MANY times, and people LOVE it. I can't believe I'm sharing it with the blog universe, but here it is. I'm getting a little emotional.

Football Salad
Yields 6 main dish servings, many more side dishes
This recipe is modified from the book "The Best 125 Meatless Main Dishes"

Salad - Combine the following
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups cooked basmati or long grain rice
1 red bell pepper, chopped
4 scallions, sliced
2 celery stalks, diced
3/4 cup smoked Gouda, grated
1 cup frozen peas

Dressing - whisk together, and mix into salad
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 lemon, juiced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon dried dill

Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Sit at room temperature for at least a half hour before serving (that's why it's such a great potluck/tailgating dish).

That's it. Seriously. Honestly, while the rice is cooking I chop, mince, and dice all the veggies, and mix the dressing. I let the rice cool a bit, so it doesn't melt the cheese, and then combine everything together. It's so easy.


Mmmmm, Football Salad

We actually had this for dinner Friday night, with some steak for the huz. We had it for dinner last night, with some steamed veggies and the three cheese sourdough bread I mentioned earlier today. And the huz had some tonight with his tortellini soup (I actually have a little contained of it to take for lunch tomorrow as well). It makes a lot of salad, but it is wonderful. I really hope you love it as much as we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment