Sunday, April 24, 2011

Tortellini Soup

Last week I made tortellini soup and completely forgot to write about it, let alone share the recipe. I have had this recipe for many years. To be honest I'm not sure where it came from, BUT it is one of those rarities that both the huz and I love. Sometimes he even requests it, and he's not even a big soup fan. Or pasta fan. Or tomato fan. So that says a lot for this recipe.

I have to tell you it is super easy and super fast. The key is to have all of your ingredients prepped before you even start cooking because it goes together that quickly.

On a completely separate note - HAPPY EASTER!  As I type I am patiently waiting for my in-laws arrival (we are hosting Easter dinner - woo hoo), so this is really helping me take the edge off. Because I have been focused on Easter that past two days I haven't given my weekly menu a ton of thought. I can tell you it will have a Mexican/Spanish theme though, and I'm fairly confident I have the menu planned out.  I can tell you with 75% certainty that tomorrow night we will be having Vegetarian Tortilla Soup and Quesadillas. I'm pretty sure.

Now back to Tortellini Soup. Enjoy!

Makes 4 - 6 servings

1 tablespoon butter
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 - 14 1/2 ounce can vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
1 - 9 ounce package cheese tortellini
1/4 cup grated Parmesan + additional for garnish
Salt and Pepper
1 - 14 1/2 ounce can petite dice tomatoes
1/2 bunch or package of spinach, stemmed and julienne sliced
1 teaspoon dried basil

1. Melt butter in heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and saute 2 minutes.
2. Stir in broth and tortellini. Bring to a boil and reduce heat.  Stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer until tortellini are just tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir tomatoes, spinach, and basil into soup. Simmer 2 minutes.
4. Serve, topping with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.


Bowl of Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment