Monday, April 25, 2011

Week 17 Dinner Menu

In keeping with the theme I started last week (all Italian all the time), I decided to focus on Mexican food this week.
Given that yesterday was Easter, and I do have some leftovers we need to finish up, I would not call this a traditional Mexican food week (although I’m pretty sure that most of the Mexican food we have been exposed to has been Americanized to a certain extent).
I think what I love about Mexican food is the simplicity. Much like Italian food, it’s all about the basics – beans, rice, grilled meats, vegetables, fresh sauces, and who can forget – TORTILLAS!  I love tortillas. Flour, corn, even wheat – I love them all. I love wrapping up my scrambled eggs in the morning, or even hummus and veggies for lunch. There is nothing you can’t put in a tortilla.
And I’m a sucker for chips and salsa too. I have a feeling I will be eating chips and salsa all week because I just can’t resist that salty crunch, combined with fresh salsa. Mmmm….salsa....and cerveza isn't too shabby either.
Week  17 Dinner Menu
Sunday: Easter. We had the traditional Easter fare. We have leftover ham that needs to be used asap.
Monday: Vegetarian Tortilla Soup with Ham & Cheese Quesadillas. I have made this recipe before, and will all of the Easter indulgence I think this is a nice balance. I actually made vegetable stock yesterday - which I have never done before – and will be using it in this recipe. I’m souper excited (pun intended). I think the huz is gonna go bananas over the ham & cheese quesadillas. I mean, what kid, I mean man, doesn’t love a Mexican grilled cheese sandwich – with ham no less?
Tuesday: Vegetarian Paella with Mexican Sausage (for the huz).  I saw Gwyneth Paltrow on Ellen Friday and she made vegan paella. I may try her recipe or another vegetarian version. I’ve never made paella – nor do I have a paella pan – so this could be interesting.
Wednesday: Grilled Fish Tacos.  Now as much as I love carbs, all things tortilla, and chips & salsa, I loves me some fish tacos. If they are on a menu I generally have to try them. Now, I’m not talking fish tacos made with fried fish. I’m talking chunks of white, meaty grilled fish with fresh cabbage slaw, tomatoes, avocado, sour cream – oh my. Of course the huz will pass on the tomatoes and avocado, but I bet I can woo him with sour cream blended with Sriracha.
Thursday: Camarones Enchilados with leftover Paella.  I haven’t made Camarones Enchilados since I fell in love with them, so I’m anxious to make them again. I’m assuming we will still have leftover paella, which would be a nice accompaniment. If the paella is gobbled up by then, I will probably do steamed rice and black beans.
Friday: Enchiladas.  I’m kind of up in the air as to what kind of enchiladas I’d like to make on Friday. This will almost be a wild card in and of itself.
Saturday: Wild Card. I may have to go out. I may have to dine in. I’m leaving this day open just in case.  Everyone deserves a wild card now and then.
Buenos Noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment