Sunday, May 15, 2011

Week 19 Dinner Menu

They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, and maybe travel offers some inspiration too. Since coming home I have been easing myself back into my nightly cooking routine, and have been thoroughly enjoying the rewards. Case in point, pizza I made last night.

This pizza was 100% inspired by my trip. Every morning there was an amazing breakfast buffet at our hotel. They had everything from omelets, to oatmeal, to miso soup and rice. I was particularly fond of the lox with sliced tomatoes and scrambled eggs.  During our trip we had a rather delicious chicken pizza, yes, CHICKEN pizza, but that is a whole separate discussion altogether.

Back to last night's dinner.

The huz and I usually struggle when it comes to pizza - he wants meat....I don't. One thing we mutually love though is smoked salmon. I thought, "Why don't I make a smoked salmon pizza?" We've been married almost 13 years, and I have no idea why I have not thought of this sooner. It was perfect.

I made a pesto from flat leaf parsley, and topped the pizza with smoked salmon and a light sprinkling of mozzarella cheese. After I removed it from the oven, I topped it with diced red onion (I wanted the crunch and zing to remain in tact, versus cooking the onion on the pizza).

Homemade pesto - parsley, garlic, olive oil, almonds, salt and pepper

This was hands down the best pizza I have ever made. Ever.

My version of the Mona Lisa.  Perfection!

And I won't even tell you about the orange cake we had for dessert.

I digress.

Fueled by inspiration, and a handful of new recipes, I am really looking forward to the week ahead.

Week 19 Dinner Menu

Sunday: Rigatoni with Vegetarian Sausage and Broccoli (I literally just ate this for dinner and if you are lucky I will share this recipe. It was VERY good)
Monday: Salmon with Corn Salad (I already prepped the corn tonight - I'm excited to try out this new recipe)
Tuesday: Sesame Noodles with Tofu and Vegetables
Wednesday: Asian Chicken Salad Sandwiches with Miso Soup
Thursday: Roasted Cod with Lemon Couscous (although I may use quinoa instead)
Friday: Veggie Burgers and Homemade BBQ Fries
Saturday: Going out to dinner. Lucky me.

Sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment