Friday, May 20, 2011

Rigatoni with Roasted Sausage and Broccoli

Rigatoni with Roasted Sausage

So I tease you with telling you how good this dinner was on Sunday night, then I completely forget to post the recipe - or take a picture for that matter. I pretty much suck, don't I?

I can't blame the mini vaca, or the bit of sunshine streaming through my windows. I've just been lazy when it comes to the computer. You see I'm on a computer much of my work day, and the last thing I want to do is look at a screen when I get home (unless that screen is showing "Top Chef Masters" or "Yard Crashers," then I'm totally hooked).

But, I really do want you to have this recipe because it was tasty, and quick, and I made it vegetarian...oh, and the huz loved it. If it passes the huz test you know it's a winner (he is a very finicky eater).

I followed this recipe to the letter EXCEPT I did use my tried and true Tofurky Italian Sausage. Oh, yeah, and I added a half cup of chopped walnuts too. The walnuts gave a great crunch and texture that was a little unexpected - plus walnuts are so good for you.

Recipes like this prove that there is no excuse not to have a good, hot, homecooked meal any night of the week.

Rigatoni with Roasted Sausage and Broccoli
Serves 4

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (in reading this recipe I realize I didn't use the butter - I didn't miss it)
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan (1 ounce)
  1. Heat oven to 400° F. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve ¾ cup of the cooking water. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
  2. Meanwhile, on a rimmed baking sheet, toss the broccoli and onion with the oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Nestle the sausage among the vegetables.
  3. Roast, tossing once, until the broccoli is tender and the sausage is cooked through, 18 to 20 minutes.
  4. Toss the pasta with the broccoli and sausage mixture, butter, and ½ cup of the reserved cooking water (add more if the pasta seems dry).
  5. Sprinkle the pasta with Parmesan before serving.
Source: Real Simple Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment