Sunday, May 22, 2011

Corn Salad = Sunshine and all things good

Okay, you may think that title is a little extreme for corn salad, but I assure you it is not. I mean look at this:
 
Corn Salad
Photo courtesy of http://www.dashrecipes.com/

Look at that bowl of sunshine. Bright yellow corn. Fresh basil and chives. If this doesn't get you in the mood for summer cookouts I seriously think we need to break up.

I had to resort to using a photograph for this recipe from the website because:

  1. the huz doesn't eat fresh tomatoes, so picture this salad sans the pop of red color - B-O-R-I-N-G (but only in appearance, not in taste - I substituted sundried tomatoes instead)
  2. we ate the salad so fast I really didn't have an opportunity to take a picture...we are pigs I tell ya'
 I have to say the dressing for this salad is really the star. I know I will make this salad many times this summer, but I'm even more excited to try the dressing with some other flavor combinations.

We enjoyed this salad with a nice piece of roasted salmon, and steamed green beans. Delish!

Consider my discovery my personal gift to you, this beautiful Spring day.

Corn Salad
Yields: 6 servings (if you are lucky)

Ingredients:
2 cups water, plus 1 Tbsp
¾ tsp salt, divided
1 cup quick-cooking barley
2 cups corn kernels (4 ears)
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
3 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
1½ Tbsp red-wine vinegar
¼ tsp sugar
¼ tsp black pepper
3 Belgian endives, trimmed and sliced crosswise to ½ inch thick
Halved cherry tomatoes for garnish


1. Bring 2 cups water and ¼ tsp salt to boil in a saucepan. Stir in barley; reduce heat and simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.

2. Cook corn in a large pot of boiling water, 1 minute. Drain, rinse in cold water, drain again, and pat dry. Place in a large bowl.

3. In a blender, combine oil, basil, chives, vinegar, sugar, ½ tsp salt, pepper, and 1 Tbsp water. Drain barley; add to corn. Stir in endives and dressing. Top with tomatoes.


 
Source: http://www.dashrecipes.com/ Gourmet Magazine

1 comment:

  1. you are right. this is a great recipe! perfect for summer

    ReplyDelete