Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Baked Rigatoni

Last night I made Baked Rigatoni with Ricotta and Collard Greens - aka "a very grown up version of macaroni and cheese." For the most part the recipe went very well, but I feel it is my responsibility to prevent you from making the same mistakes I made.

Now mind you "mistake" may be a strong word, it was more like minor "culinary challenges." Case in point, the original recipe had more red pepper flakes than this revised version - so your palette will thank me for that (if you like the heat though, feel free to double up on the red pepper flake). Also, with this recipe you basically are making a cream sauce, between the flour and milk. Because I had sauteed my onions on heat that was a little too high, my sauce turned out more brown than white (because of the extra "carmelization"). This did not affect the flavor in anyway - just the color.

On a side note, this is probably the second time I have cooked collard greens (dark leafy greens which are exceptionally good for you, are in season right now). The key to cooking greens is a nice slow simmer. I think I could like collard greens as much as I like kale. They are so good.

All in all this was a wonderful dinner with huz. What more can you ask for?

Baked Rigatoni with Ricotta and Collard Greens
Inspired by a recipe from Cottage Living magazine (which no longer exists)
Makes 4 generous servings

1/2 lb. rigatoni
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced 
1/2 bunch collard greens, washed, drained, and chopped
2 tablespoons flour
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded mozarella
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup grated Parmesan

1.  Cook pasta according to package directions - drain and set aside.
2.  Preheat oven to 350, and lightly grease a 2 qt. baking dish.
3.  Heat butter in a dutch oven over medium heat. Saute onion 5 minutes or
     until lightly browned.  Add garlic and cook an additional minute. 

Reduce heat to medium-low, and add greens. Cover and cook 15 minutes until the greens are tender, stirring occassionally. (Note: my heat was a little too high, which resulted in more browning than I had expected. If you cook this at medium-low your sauce should stay fairly light in color.


flour & milk making magic
4.  Sprinkle the greens with flour. Cook
     uncovered, stirring constantly, 1 minute. 
     Gradually add milk, stirring well. Cook 5
     minutes, stirring often until thickened and
     smooth. 

5.  Remove from heat and stir in pasta,
     mozarella, ricotta, sugar, salt, pepper, and
     red pepper flakes. Place in
     prepared dish, and sprinkle evenly with Parmesan.

6.  Bake 15 - 20 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment