Monday, February 7, 2011

Flaming Nachos and Super Bowl Sunday

The huz and I are simple folk. We don’t have a lot of traditions.  We go with the flow. We are open to new experiences. However, there is one ritual that we practice religiously – Flaming Nachos on Super Bowl Sunday!  It isn’t a Super Bowl without them. 
“Flaming Nachos” came into our lives early in our marriage. It was a Super Bowl Sunday, and I thought it would be fun to make nachos. Heck, maybe even start a tradition. We were young. We didn’t know.  I mean, who doesn’t love nachos? And football? It was a match made in sports bar heaven.
Unfortunately, shortly after placing my perfectly layered chips/cheese/and beans in the oven, I smelled smoke.  And then I saw smoke.  Seeping up through the electric coils on my stovetop. I instantly knew something was wrong.  Not the nachos!!!!
All the huz saw was the blur of me running out the front door with a flaming cookie sheet in my potholdered hand. Apparently cheese and chips are highly flammable – especially on the top rack of the broiler (I’m sure it’s the yummy fat in the chips and cheese that just can’t resist igniting). My poor cookie sheet sat on the driveway, with nothing but the blackened remains of all that should have been good. I was devastated. 
After some choice words, and some giggles – I can’t imagine what any of my neighbors thought if they saw me running out of my house with a cookie sheet on fire – I made a second batch. Lower oven rack. More watchful eye. They were great.  A tradition was born!
To complement our nachos, this year, I made a recipe that the huz really likes.  He’s not really a chili/soup kind of person (whereas I could eat soup everyday), but he loves this dish.  I’m pretty sure it’s because of the pesto.
This recipe is so easy, with a great depth of flavor for something that really doesn’t cook for very long.  What makes this dish is the pesto. DO NOT USE STORE BOUGHT PESTO. It doesn’t work. I’ve tried. It’s the fresh pesto that makes this dish. Even the huz would agree.
Note: These are not Flaming Nachos. Those were consumed in the first quarter.
Three-Bean Chili With Spring Pesto
Real Simple Magazine April 2008

Ingredients
·         1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
·    carrots, diced
·    1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, including liquid (I used petite diced tomatoes)
·    kosher salt and black pepper
·    3 tablespoons pine nuts, chopped (I used slivered almonds and I’m sure walnuts
                                                        would work too)
·    crusty bread (optional) - or Flaming Nachos
Directions
1.    Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrots and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
2.    Stir in the tomatoes and their liquid, 2 cups water, 1 ½ teaspoons salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil.
3.    Add the chickpeas and cannellini and kidney beans and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
4.    Combine the garlic, pine nuts, parsley, remaining ¼ cup oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. (I actually pulse all of these ingredients together in my food processor)
5.    Divide the chili among individual bowls and top with the pesto. Serve with the bread, if desired. (I like tortilla chips)

Stir in the pesto and ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment