Friday, February 18, 2011

Kung POW!!!

Saturday afternoon the huz and I went out to lunch to celebrate the fact that we had been eating in all week (I think that's called irony).  Truth be told we have noticed a significant change in our dining habits since I started this blog - not that we ate out a lot - but it certainly has become more of an event when we do go to an actual restaurant.

We went to Marco Polo, here in Salem, and I have to admit it is one of the few restaurants that never disappoints me. They have so many vegetarian options, and all of their dishes are so good. They have these vegetarian pot stickers that I could probably just eat plate after plate of, and don't even get started on the dipping sauce.

The huz had Kung Pao beef, which unfortunately for him had quite a few mushrooms, but turned out to be a win for me. I love mushrooms. So periodically my chopsticks would meander to his plate, and stealthily retrieve a mushroom.  Normally I would not eat a dish like Kung Pao because it is spicy. There was just something about his Kung Pao that was irresistible. The sauce did not have an artificial color to it (I think Kung Pao usually looks bright orange). This had tons of crispy vegetables, perfectly glazed in this beautiful soy, chili sauce. I was transfixed.

While we were dining I was picking the huz's brain on what we should have for dinner the coming week (notice I still talk about food and plan future meals when I'm in the middle of a really good meal).  His immediate response was lemon pasta (his new favorite) with scallops. I suggested, in a mildly persuasive way, that I try to find a Kung Pao recipe instead, as I had become completely enamored with his lunch.  Surely he would enjoy a Kung Pao scallop dinner? The huz agreed.

On Thursday I picked up some fresh sea scallops (12 to be exact) and a spicy tuna roll for our appetizer (you should really never go to the grocery store when you are hungry).  I had found a Kung Pao recipe online, but so heavily modified it, I'm making this recipe my own. I will definitely be making this again, and will probably modify it - using less heat - the next time. Let the cooking begin!

WARNING: Kung Pao is spicy. If you do not want any spice whatsoever, omit the chili garlic sauce. I think the sauce would be just as tasty without it - just no heat. I personally tend to lean toward mild/sometimes medium. This was definitely hot. Even the huz said it was hot, and he likes heat. He thought it was GREAT. I think it was great too.


Kung Pao 
Serves 4 - 6

1/2 pound fettuccine noodles
1 celery stalked, chopped
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 cup roasted peanuts, chopped, for garnish (optional)
1 pound protein of your choice (meat, seafood, tofu, etc.) cut into bite size pieces

Kung Pao Sauce Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup white wine (broth could be substituted)
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 tablespoon chili garlic paste (the next time I make this I will use 1/2 tablespoon)
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar

  1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water, drain, and set pasta aside.
  2. Saute all of the vegetables in 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, until crisp tender.  Combine with cooked pasta.
  3. Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a small sauce pan. Simmer over medium heat. As the sauce warms and thickens, add the reserved pasta water until the sauce is to your desired consistency (if you like a thinner sauce add more water, if you like a thicker sauce add less water, heck, you may not even need to add water).
  4. Add Kung Pao sauce to the cooked pasta and vegetables. Toss to combine. Sprinkle with peanuts.
  5. Pan sear the protein of your choice (chicken, beef, tofu, shrimp, or in our case scallops), and serve noodles. Sprinkle

You've been Kung Powed!


  

No comments:

Post a Comment